Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Roses

I saw a video posted on my friend's wall(yvonne ng) and at once, nostalgically I felt a certain 'something' rushing through my veins. I don't know how to describe that, but let's say you JUST heard a song that goes way back in 2008, like maybe Nickelback's 'Hero', you get that nostalgic sensation right??

And what song you might wonder that caused me to feel that way?
ta-da! 'Roses' by Outcast.

Cover by The Maine.

Honestly I have not heard this song in a LONG time, so to hear it again was just...really nice and cool. Then it made me wanted to play this song on the piano :) For those of you who heard the original version by Outkast, it started off with some bluesy, syncopated-timing tunes on the piano, like this below:


Sorry if this vid doesn't sound very clear, but this guy played it the correct syncopated-timing whereas other vids their timing is like everywhere, lintang-pukang. tsk tsk.

Have you heard it? Quite tricky to play this by ear right?

I had to listen to it over and over and over again and play on the piano thousands of times--until I think my neighbours are annoyed (sorry!)--to FINALLY PLAY IT WITHOUT MISTAKES, like the vid above.

The satisfaction I got was just...priceless. It was a very good feeling, like I've scaled Mount Everest or something. I also got to test my hearing abilities and see whether I'm up to par or not :P Maybe u should try it too! See whether you can do it.

Conclusion: So that's why I like playing the piano by ear. Ka-ching*

I'm happy.



No comments: