Friday, March 23, 2012

to kill a coloured one.

To Maycomb, Tom's death was typical. Typical of a nigger to cut and run. Typical of a nigger's mentality to have no plan, no thought for the future, just run blind first chance he saw. Funny thing, Atticus Finch might have got him off scot free, but wait--? Hell, no. You know how they are. Easy come, easy go. Just shows you, that Robinson boy was legally married, they say he kept himself clean, went to church and all that, but when it comes down to the line the veneer's mighty thin. Nigger always comes out in 'em. ...Tom was a dead man the minute Mayella Ewell opened her mouth and screamed.

I don't know about you, but I was so worked up to tears of anger and resentment by 'To Kill a Mockingbird' towards the kind of injustice that befell Tom, the innocent black who was framed to have raped Mayella, a white. Yea I know it's fiction and it's not real, but it was a mirror to what happened a long time ago.

Long story short, Tom pitied Mayella and went to help her chop a 'chiffarobe' but instead she seduced him (which he vehemently rejected) and was caught by her father, who inflicted punches on her, but she ended up accusing Tom. Wow. That was a pretty hard impact on me. I can't believe ... *speechless* i mean, tom, although not educated, has the most gentle heart but was framed by that....that.....girl....urgh..

poor tom. :'( Of course, the jury found him guilty because they judged based on skin rather than the truth. I can't imagine how tom would feel. So, so many emotions running through his mind. The coloured people, oppressed by the whites.

That really, really worked me up. :'((((( After reading that part I had to put the book down and wipe my tears. Yep. I cried reading this book. This book..has a huge impact on me. I would really encourage you to read it.

Thank God things are SO different now in US.



2 comments:

qiandjun :) said...

im reading it now!! so bored at japan, im at the arthur radley now hahahahhahahaha

tien mie said...

really??? yay! tell me what you think about it ok. dang good book. arthur radley = weird!