Thursday, June 04, 2015

bittersweet

Yesterday was my final lecture as an undergrad. To be honest I wasn't feeling anything much when the lesson was on but after that when we were snapping pics with our lecturer, a sudden feeling came over me. Sad? No. Happy? No too. It was more like ... bittersweet. 

Partly because I felt kesian for my lecturer. He's a visiting korean lecturer and has been in Msia for about 8 years and he mentioned in Aug he is leaving, And he loves it here more than his home country. 

And throughout the day this was hovering in my mind very subtly. At night, I chatted with my bro about this and told him that my lecturer said the people in my his home country are very selfish and that he (my lecturer) feels a sense of discontentment with his own people, especially with higher powers. My bro agreed and said that many migrated out of that country to seek hope. He also added Korea came about from nothing. Nothing...

...which refreshed my memory that Korea was robbed by stronger powers like China and Japan and later on had to split into two sumore, so colonization really stripped everything from her. My bro added that Korean people suffered very much, and I couldn't agree more with that after hearing all my lecturer has told us. Today, they've built themselves up into one of the most fast-paced and modern countries, almost similar to their 'enemy', Japan.

But yet there are a few, if not many who're still disgruntled with the way it's being run. :/ That's why the last class yest had a deeper effect on me. It made me ponder on colonization, helpless countries and most importantly the  detrimental effect of war on people and how much they've suffered.
 Quoting my lecturer, "History is important... so that we do not repeat it." 

What a thoughtful way to end my final lecture as an undergrad and a blessing in disguise indeed :) 

(I chanced upon this on FB from one of the students in this class who tagged my other friend in another picture. :P )

No comments: