Wednesday, May 18, 2016

I sent a thank you email to my lecturer recently and I made sure that every word was intentional and a true reflection of what I've learnt from the class and what I thought of his/her teaching -- which was of sheer intelligence & brilliance. But my lecturer had a different point of view; he/she ended the reply with "P.S. no extra marks for flattering me ya". 

-___-" why can't thanks be accepted when it's due? ok after re-reading my email it seemed I may have went a tad overboard with the compliments but when I was penning it, it all came from my mind and heart! as in whatever I feel, I just type it in. I had no intention of fishing for extra marks. Or maybe my lecturer was just joking? but then no emoticons were included. Hm. 

Plus, I very well can't explain and justify myself over email right? I will sound like a school kid, whining and defending myself (altho I did actually reply but a diplomatic one-liner sentence ha ha). Lesson learnt; one man's meat is another man's poison. What may look like a sincere expression of thanks to me may appear differently to the other person at the end of the line.

but ironically, why am I feeling sorry and embarrassed for sending a thank you email? I certainly shouldn't feel that way at all considering the fact that I sincerely sent it to thank my lecturer for all he/she has done. and yet... his/her perception of my sincerity has made me feel small & silly.

Or am I taking things too seriously? lol. perhaps. see, this is what introverts go through. we internalize our thoughts and feelings way too much hah.

but anyway, this is life. deal with it. 

And dealt with it I have, taking it with a pinch of salt. I'll still send thank you emails though haha because I feel lecturers should be given appreciation and thanks for their time and effort spent in teaching students. 

No comments: