Wednesday, May 11, 2016

ideas are cheap; execution is expensive

Today I had the most thought-provoking session of my research methodology class and also in my entire undergrad + postgrad experience in uni. My lecturer (who is awesome) asked us questions that prompted us to look at ourselves and our code of conduct i.e. our integrity and ethics in research. those questions allowed us to express our opinions regardless whether we're right or wrong and boy, did we have a lively session of question after question. At least that's what I felt. 

Take-home points were:

 1. ideas are cheap (that was like quite mindblown. We throw ideas around like it's free (and it is haha) but then the process of making those ideas into reality takes a lot of effort and hard work)

2. at the end of the day, no one else will hold us accountable for our integrity and ethics in research except us ourselves... and God. we can lie, bluff and BS all the way to get a degree but who is accountable for that? No one but us. And Dr. David ended with this: "when in doubt, choose the best moral path". 

My brain just had to pause for a while to process all of this. Shucks. Is this what adulting or critically processing information feels like? Being pushed into our minds to critically evaluate and probe life?? :O 

I have to thank Dr. David for that. He & Dr. Leela are the best lecturers I've ever encountered in my entire uni experience and I'm very privileged to have learnt from them. So outstanding in their own element. 

Just penning down some after-ten-o'clock thoughts before I sleep or maybe do a bit of work. ttfn :) 

No comments: